Calling all surf coaches & surf schools! Over the past 5 years, we've been building an autism-informed surf coach training package designed by surf coaches for surf coaches.
The course runs in a face-to-face environment, incorporating both theory and a practical application of skills in the water (alongside a host of other great pre and post-session resources). We aim to ensure autistic individuals can access the ocean safely and effectively, catering to the individual's needs and promoting the joy the ocean brings.
You will learn:
- How to ensure individuals safety and enjoyment is prioritised by learning to assess and identify potential risks and the ways to mitigate these risks.
- How to identify individuals specific needs and set goals.
- How to co-regulate with a child when they are struggling to help them then meet expectations of a session.
- How to communicate effectively with autistic individuals by learning to shift and expand your methods of communication
- How to adapt your surf lessons to support differences in motor skills and sensory experience.
You will be provided with:
- Face to Face training involving both theory and a practical application of skills in the water
- Pre session resources to send out to families (i.e. social stories and visuals)
- Support from StS to complete ALL intakes and bookings
- NDIS Support from StS for surf school participants
- FREE Supervision support follow up for first 3 sessions
- Ongoing supervision and support available for hourly supervision rates.
Presenter Aimee Blacker has been a surf coach for over 15 years and also works as a peadiatric occupational therapist. Aimee is the co-founder of surfing the spectrum. Jay Mason is an autistic surfer and educator providing hands on lived experience with knowledge you can put in to practice straight away.
COST: $150 per person OR If registering as a group -
3-5 coaches @ 15% off
6-10 coaches @ 25% off
For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your location is not mentioned here please send us an email to express your interest: email@example.com